Sunday, February 24, 2013

Median Bike Paths

I did my first test run of my bike to work route. I am waiting for the time change before I start bike commuting because it just seems safer to bike when it is still light outside until I am familiar with the route.

The best part of my route is that the majority of the ride is on a median bike path. I have become convinced that median bike paths are perhaps the best way to integrate bikes/pedestrians/cars into a single right of way.

Bike path looking west in a wide portion, pedestrian path is to the left (hard to see because of the shade)

This particular median bike path is really wide in areas and is almost a park in itself. It has a meandering pedestrian path, an asphalt two-way bike lane, benches, trash cans, grassy areas, and landscaping.  Street traffic is on either side and there are no median breaks except at major street intersections. The intersections have crosswalks and seem much safer than traditional intersections for bicyclists and pedestrians because you are out in the open and cars aren't trying to turn right in front of you when the light changes.

Bike path looking east in a narrow portion, pedestrian path on the right

1 comment: