Sunday, March 3, 2013

Laundry

I haven't had to do laundry in a shared facility in 9 years. It forces you to either do laundry more often or try to wrangle multiple loads to and fro (or live with a large pile of dirty clothes).



The one thing I recalled from our previous apartment days was the "quarter crisis". When you use a laundry facility, you horde quarters. Quarters are precious metal. Otherwise it is Sunday night and there is nothing to wear tomorrow and you have to walk to the convenience store and buy a coke with a 5 dollar bill and nicely ask for all your change in quarters. Getting rolls of quarters at the bank was an option, but they don't last long and you can only get them during the ridiculously brief banking center hours. Our swank new apartments have a card machine. You get a re-loadable card and then just add money whenever you want to or need to.

My only pet peeve is that people do not clean the lint traps when they are through. We always clean them after our loads because I am sure no one wants to have to grab a handful of lint laced with my hair and cat hair. Recently I noticed the machine instructions list step number 1 as cleaning the lint trap and have since been less annoyed at people and more annoyed at the instructions. I equate that to going to a fast food place and being expected to clear the previous person's trash before you get a table and order.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the quarters...don't remind me of the quarters. In college, people had no idea what a lint trap was. There were sometimes when I'd open that thing and be like "JESUS! IT'S A FREAKING CAT!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! How do you get to be in college and not know that? Although I remember when I did my group student ambassador trip, there were 15 and 16 year olds that had never done their own laundry and could not figure it out! I'd been helping with laundry since elementary school and just assumed everyone helped with basic chores.

      Delete