Saturday, March 16, 2013

Balcony Garden Week 3

Had the first "harvest" this morning. One cute little strawberry (it was good).


The plants are all growing except for the herb pot which I just planted seeds in last weekend. They even got a little rain water from a storm last week (our balcony is covered, so they don't always get rain water). I do need to pick up some natural fertilizer since they are in pots. I've heard you can do small scale composting on balconies, but I've been nervous to experiment as of yet.

spinach on the left, kale and green onions on the right

the tomato plant is about to start flowering!

I very much want to have a squash plant, a sweet pepper plant, and a hot pepper plant to round things out. The plan was to wait and put them in the kale and spinach pots when it starts getting too warm for the greens (I'm guessing that will be early May). However, I'm concerned it might be a little late by then to be starting squash from seeds. The peppers would be transplants so I'm not as concerned since they thrived in Texas heat so I'm sure they can handle California summers like a champ. That is my fault for starting the greens so late (the seeds should have been planted two months earlier than I did). 

I also kind of want a flowering plant, but am debating whether I want to use the water and space for something I can't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment