Saturday, February 23, 2013

Asbestos and Lead

Our apartments have these fun signs posted everywhere:



It really doesn't bother me because most of us have lived, worked, and been educated in buildings containing asbestos and lead our entire lives. I find some of California's warning labels ridiculous. If you live in an old building, just don't make it a habit of eating or pulverizing and inhaling the walls and insulation and you'll be fine.

A fun story related to that was that back in 3rd or 4th grade I watched a PBS show on asbestos mining, its uses through history, and the subsequent discovery of its health problems. This was right around the time of the 1989 ban of asbestos followed by the 1991 overturning that allows asbestos in certain products to this day. I went to school and told all my friends that based on the age of our school building it contained asbestos insulation and we were all breathing cancer causing particulates into our young lungs (or something along those lines - details evade me). What I do remember clear as day was my best friend Angie and I going around for weeks and one of us would look at the other and say "asbestos" and we would both hold our breath as long as we could. Oh, the carefree days of childhood. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I remember learning about asbestos in college - It's crazy useful stuff, too bad 3% of it is bad for you. Talk about a few bad apples ruining the whole basket.

    ReplyDelete