Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Vintage" Medicine Cabinet

Our apartment building was constructed in 1969. Some features have clearly been updated, but others appear quite dated. One item that is definitely old is the steel Permabilt recessed medicine cabinet. I have never been a fan of medicine cabinets, but seeing as we have limited space, I would like to make use of the storage space.


The bottom is rusty and all the shelves are missing. I am planning to scrub, paint, and find shelves. I think I want to give the inside some color. I am not painting the apartment walls because I don't have a feel for how badly the apartment management would freak out. I really like color, but in a small space, the white walls may be best anyway. Considering the sad state of the thing, anything I do will be an upgrade.

Ironically enough some people seem to have an affinity for these old cabinets. They buy them, lovingly restore them, and cut holes in their perfectly good walls to install them. I don't get that. They call them "vintage".

I'll post photos of the finished product (hopefully showing its sad state will be a motivator to get it finished).





1 comment:

  1. if I remember correctly, you can use little glass panes as the shelves...

    ReplyDelete