Sunday, June 2, 2013

LA in a Few Words

I found this article before I moved out here: http://www.newcolonist.com/lafewwords.html.

I can't recall if this is where I found it, or even if this is the original source (no dates and no authors make me wonder if this is a "cut and paste" operation from an original source). I couldn't find it elsewhere, though, so hopefully this is legit and original. Regardless of whether or not it is based on legit interviews, I read it with eagerness while researching what LA was like before moving here. Now that I've lived here 5 months, I'll answer the same questions.

If you were to describe Los Angeles in one word, what would it be?
Large
If someone told you they were moving to Los Angeles, what advice would you give them?
Live close to where you will work and learn to embrace transportation modes other than the car. You will love life so much more for it!
If a tourist had one hour to spend in Los Angeles, what one thing would you tell them to see?
Walk around wherever you happen to be, but don't judge all of LA based on that area. Each area is unique, but since you can't possibly experience much of anything in an hour, at least savor where you are at.
What's the best thing about Los Angeles?
The creativity and wealth of ideas. Whatever your niche interest, you are guaranteed to find like-minded people here. 
What's the worst thing about Los Angeles?
The urine smell in certain areas. It doesn't rain very often, so the smell from both homeless humans using the sidewalk and non-homeless dogs all using the same green space gets a bit too potent. Litter is a close 2nd for me, but that is much more easily solved.
If you had the opportunity to move, would you? And if so, where would you go?
Not right now. If I ever did move, it would probably be to either another vibrant, large city or to a completely rural area.

For the most part, I find I agree with the interviewees. Many of my answers are very similar or even the same. While they were almost unanimous on the best thing being diversity, my answer jives well with that and is just a more specific area of diversity. The fact that I seldom if ever drive is probably the biggest player in traffic not being my answer to the worst thing about LA. 

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how that works (re: traffic).

    One of the guys who worked at NI with Shawn lived in downtown Austin and always was trying to convince others to move to downtown as well. One of the big issues people always asked about was traffic. He always said there wasn't any. Shawn and I were headed north one evening after having spent the day downtown and Shawn was astounded by the amount of traffic headed south and said that he was surprised his coworker would lie so readily. I asked what his normal hours were (ended up being 10-7). And there is your answer. It wasn't that there wasn't any traffic heading north in the morning, south in the evening, it was that he was avoiding it by going after the rush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, it is hard to believe someone would have no clue traffic was bad at other times. I never deal with traffic personally, but I am not so far in a bubble that I don't know it exists and is awful. When I was trying to sell our house I would say it was great that it was only a 20 minute drive home, but I always pointed out it was only that way if you left work after 6:30pm!

      Delete