Saturday, May 11, 2013

Balcony Garden: Early May

I gave up trying to start basil from seed and just bought a plant. So far, it looks about the same as when I bought it minus a few leaves that went in my sandwich.

The spinach and kale were removed (starting to get a bit warm for them some days) and replaced with yellow squash (left) and peppers (right). I have no idea how squash will do in a pot since it gets so big. I have space for it to spread on the balcony, so we'll see! I will definitely grow greens again next winter because they were very successful.

The strawberry plant has been the biggest success so far. I have picked countless strawberries (we always just eat them as soon as they are picked). They are sweet and slightly tart and very juicy. I never could grow them in Texas.

The rosemary is indestructible as always. The tomato on the other hand is not quite so great (see how yellowed it is). I think it is low on nitrogen. I amended the soil yesterday with coffee grounds and compost. It did produce some delicious little tomatoes. They are cherry tomatoes, but look and taste like little beefsteak tomatoes. I hope the plant makes it as they are quite good. I may have to spring for some fertilizer. I also learned I planted the tomato a bit early for out here, which might also account for its stunted growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment