Saturday, April 6, 2013

Balcony Garden Week 6

Harvest so far:

  • about 6 strawberries (ranged from tart to sweet)
  • two handfuls of spinach (it was good)
  • a small handful of kale (young and mild)
  • numerous sprigs of rosemary

Despite being 4 stories up in middle of a large, concrete city, garden pests have found me. I believe this is a Pieris rapae (aka imported cabbage worm and small white). They are non-native, but seeing as they have been here since the 1800s, I say they have staked their claim and get to live. I have great respect for any creature that can sniff out its preferred host plant in the middle of LA. So I am sharing my kale with the caterpillars.



Now if I get tomato hornworms it will be a different story. I will practice ruthless removal of any tomato pest because I refuse to share the tomatoes. There are tons of blooms and the first 2 tomatoes have appeared!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is insane that those things found your plant!! How nice of you to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some high school friends live in LA and said that they left their hummingbird feeder up throughout the winter this year because they had droves of them around...maybe a hummingbird feeder is next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't figure out how to hang it. The building is stucco, so it seems pretty destructive to drill in it. We do have lots of hummers around! I see them in a flowering vine the house next door has and they sometimes hang out at the top of the tree outside.

      Delete